What is the first thing that pops into your head when you think about what a chiropractor treats? BACK PAIN, right?!?!? Here are some facts about back pain that you may not know…
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease 2010.
- ½ of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Experts estimate that approximately 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some point in their lives.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain – and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.
- Most causes of back pain are mechanical or non-organic in nature…meaning they are not caused by serious conditions like inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
Some common mechanical or non-organic causes of back pain include:
- Ligament sprain
- Muscle strain
- Herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Facet joint syndrome
- Kidney stones
Tips to prevent back pain include:
- Maintain a healthy weight and diet
- Remain active
- Maintain proper posture
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes
- Quit Smoking!
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
If you or someone you know in the Gallatin Valley area is looking for a chiropractor, please call Dr. Shea Stark with Pro Chiropractic at 406-219-2462 to schedule an appointment in our Belgrade, Manhattan, or Bozeman office. Dr. Stark is a board certified chiropractor and the author of this blog post. To learn more about Dr. Stark and the many benefits of chiropractic care, please visit our website: www.prochiromt.com.